WR004: Swift Water and Flood Rescue Technician Instructor (SFRTI)
Who is this course for?
This course is designed to equip experienced Swift Water and Flood Rescue Technicians (SFRT, DEFRA Level 3) with the necessary skills to safely train people to meet the requirements of the RIG Systems SFRT Level 3 course, and will focus on delivery of both theory and practical elements as well as advanced in-water techniques.
- Must be a confident swimmer in both still and moving water
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Due to the physical nature of this course candidates must have a reasonable level of fitness, and will be required to complete a self-declaration of fitness to train
- Must have successfully attended a DEFRA Module 3 level course, and at least one refresher or higher level water rescue course
- Must be logging in-water CPD as per DEFRA Module 3 guidelines
- Advanced first aid qualification
- Must be fully conversant with the DEFRA Flood Rescue Concepts of Operations document
Upon completion the learner will have built upon their understanding of technical water rescue and will be able to:
- Deliver training up to level 3 Technician level
- Supervise and lead teams training in a swift water environment
- The water venues will be suitably risk assessed Class 2 or 3 pumped or natural swift water with suitable and varied hydrological features to cover all aspects of training
- The water venues will have safe run-outs and escape points that will allow all aspects of practical training to be carried out safely
- The dry training areas will comprise both standard classroom facilities and bank side areas suitable for group dry practical
Delivery method and assesment
Lectures, practical elements and open forum discussion.
The course assessment is by short written test, peer assessed mini teach, and a heavy emphasis on continuous practical assessment.
The course is not complete until an on-sire verification of student training delivery is completed.