WR002: Swift Water and Flood Responder
Who is this course for?
This 2 day Swift Water and Flood Responder course meets the requirements of DEFRA Module 2, and is aimed at selected operational personnel who are required to respond to water incidents and have the correct PPE available. The course will teach students to identify their limitations, and safely and effectively use water rescue equipment whilst operating near, on, or in moving water appropriate to the limits of wading rescue.
Candidate must have completed the Water Awareness course and be minimum 18 years of age.
- Scene management and risk assessment
- Hazards and hydrology
- Incident management and the role of the First Responder
- Applied hazards and hydrology
- Identification, care and use of PPE
- Rescue techniques: Talk, Reach, Wade, Throw
- Use of specialist rescue equipment
- Wading techniques
- Flooding awareness
- Considerations for working at night
Delivery method and assesment
Lectures and in-water training up to class 2 to the limits of wading. The course assessment is by short written test.
Valid for 3 years. Meets the requirements of DEFRA Module 2: Water Rescue First Responder.