WR001: Swift Water and Flood Awareness
Who is this course for?
This training is designed to make people aware of the hazards associated with water, and train them to carry out basic land-based rescue techniques; so is aimed at all staff who may work near water.
The minimum age for candidates is 18 years.
- Identification of the basic characteristics and hazards of the water environment
- Safety measures when working near water
- Awareness of the psychological effects of entry into cold water
- Have an appreciation of the of the physiology of drowning
- Have an appreciation of the difficulties associated with rescues from unstable surfaces
- Understanding of the limitations of non-water rescue PPE in various water environments
- Moving water hydrology
- Selection, care and use of PPE
- Priorities of rescue
- Basic casualty care
- Throw bags
- Demonstration of the inflated hose
Delivery method and assesment
Lectures and dry practical. The course assessment is by short written test.
Valid for 3 years. Meets the requirements of DEFRA Module 1: Water Awareness – General Water Safety Awareness Training and Basic Land-based Rescue Techniques.